Rud Thygesen (1932) and Johnny Sørensen (1944) both graduated from the Danish School of Arts, Crafts and Design in 1966 and the same year they opened their own design studio. While still at school they established a co-operation with Magnus Olesen which in 1971 was expressed in the first models of a range of laminated furniture of which the mutual connection – both technologically and aesthetically – is shown in a stringent and functional design.
Since then Thygesen and Sørensen have created a large number of furniture series – mainly in laminated wood. They have contributed considerably to the development of furniture in laminated and moulded wood and have designed some of the most successful Danish furniture pieces. Furthermore, they have design tubular steel furniture and worked with the design of textiles, lightings etc.
Their designs are purchased by among others the Danish Arts Foundation, the art and design museums in Oslo and Copenhagen, National Museum of Decorative Arts in Norway, Staatliches Museum für Angewandte Kunst in Cologne, Victoria and Albert Museum in London, Art Gallery and Museum, The Royal Pavilion in Brighton and by Modern Art in New York.